tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike W-M" <m...@ward-murphy.co.uk>
Subject Re: problem with chinese output in jsp/tomcat 4.1.12
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:50:18 GMT
I don't quite see where the chinese characters come into it, but I think
you've forgotten to put the curly-brackets
round the thing that's supposed to be conditional.
Instead of....
<%if(request.getParameter("sel1").equals("1"))%>
??????
<%out.println("hi from partha");%>

...I suggest you try...
<% if(request.getParameter("sel1").equals("1")) { %>
Hi from partha
<% } %>

However, I think this in itself is a little flawed because you're going to
get a null-reference error if you try the equals comparison if no "sel1" was
supplied.

Hope that helps.
Mike.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Partha Ranjan Das" <partharanjan.d@sonata-software.com>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 5:46 AM
Subject: problem with chinese output in jsp/tomcat 4.1.12

> Hi,
> I am using Tomcat 4.1.12. My requirement is to get Chinese
> characters in JSP
> pages.
> I am using the following code:
>
> in one page which has the form I am using:
> <BODY>
> <form name=frm1 action="page2.jsp" method=POST>
> <Select name=sel1>
> <option value=1>??????</option>
> <option value=2>????</option>
> </select><br>
> <input type=submit value=submit>
> </form>
> </BODY>
>

> in the next page (page2.jsp) i am using the following code:
> <%@ page contentType = "text/html; charset=big5"%>
> <BODY>
> this is a chinese output:
> <%if(request.getParameter("sel1").equals("1"))%>
> ??????
> <%out.println("hi from partha");%>
> </BODY>
>
> The problem is that in any case i am getting the output as
> the chinese chars
> that have been written into the jsp body of page2.jsp irrespective of
> whether i choose the first or the second option. and in the
> html output is
> also similar to the jsp code, which means that the jsp
> translation is not
> taking place in the tomcat. For other english pages it is happening
> perfectly alright.
> Any idea what can be done so that the translation takes place and the
> conditional display of chinese is possible. Also shall be
> highly grateful if
> you give idea as to how to initialize and manipulate chinese strings.
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Regards,
> Partha
>
> ps- those ? marks are the chinese characters. I am using
> Unicode text option
> while saving the jsp files. So character conversion to ASCII
> while saving is
> ruled out. In fact the IE output is giving chinese.
Disclaimer: The information in this e-mail and any attachments is
confidential / privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee or
addressees. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, you may
not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy
this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise
immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet email for
messages of this kind.
For additional commands, e-mail: