tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Julian Löffelhardt <jul...@austria.fm>
Subject reducing tomcat & jasper memory footprint
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:37:10 GMT
Hi,

I'm using Apache 1.3.26 and 3 tomcat 4.0.4 instances with AJP13 & loadbalancing .
Our application is a CMS where all the published articles are generated offline as JSP-Files,
one jsp per article.

We had hige problems with the memory footprint. Due to the fact that every jsp is generated
as a class and there are about 200 new artices per day the permanent segment of the JVM heap
gets filled with all the classes, and I get an OutOfMemoryError.
My workaround for now is setting -XX:PermSize and --XX:MapPermSize to higher values, but this
just delays application hang-up.

With 64 megs of permSize our Server had an approx. uptime of 1 day now it's about 3-4 days.

Is there any way to unload jsp-Files (unload the class) ?

llap,
julian