tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rod Frey" <>
Subject InitialContext configuration
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:39:12 GMT
This question seems to have been asked about a thousand times: I
apologize for bringing it up again.  I was unable to find a solution
that worked from among prior responses.
I want to configure Tomcat's InitialContext with Jboss' JNDI info.  Life
is good as long as I do things in code:
      Hashtable env = new Hashtable();
      env.put("java.naming.provider.url", "freud:1099");
      Context context = new InitialContext(env);

However, I obviously would like to put this in a file,
or externalize it in some other way.  I've tried putting the file in the following locations:
Nothing works: when I check system properties just before creating an
InitialContext, I get the following output:
    java.naming.factory.initial is
    java.naming.factory.url.pkgs is org.apache.naming
    java.naming.provider.url is null

Followed by the inevitable exception:
javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name PartnerManager is not bound in
this Context

How can I externalize these system properties?  I've also mucked with
the server.xml file quite extensively, without success.
I'm using Redhat 8.0, JDK1.4.1, and Tomcat 4.1.12.