tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Reynir Hübner <rey...@hugsmidjan.is>
Subject RE: retrieving remote web content
Date Sat, 09 Nov 2002 22:57:04 GMT
Hi,

I haven't made a servlet to do this, but I made a jsp-tag that can do this.

If you don't want to move the images from one server to another (from google to yours) as
a proxy would do it, then you must parse the HTML, and change all the urls for css, img, hrefs,
javascripts and a lot more so that they are "fully qualified" urls such as http://google.com/images/logo.gif
but not only /images/logo.gif or such.

This is usually not very complicated, but it can be a little tricky, especially with javascripts
and such.
I used regular expression to do this, more specifically the jakarta-oro package.. I still
recommend some serverside cacheing of parsed pages, as this can be quite process demanding
procedure.

If you find some library to do this, please tell us about it.

There are some libraries that might help doing the http-requests, so check that one out, its
HTTPClient:
http://www.innovation.ch/java/HTTPClient/

Hope it helps,
-reynir