tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: excluding logging
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 15:33:20 GMT
You don't! Eventually you'll end up adding more monitoring to your
systems and will have to come up with a better solution.

What I do is I "massage" all my log files before passing them to the web
analysis software. That way I can exclude certain User Agents (Like HP
Openview), other monitoring tools (like Keynote), and other ISP
monitoring agents (by IP address). Or you can config your analysis
software to exclude those entries.

You want to also keep the original log file too for some initial
processing so you can accurately get quantity of traffic to your
machines. With all the monitoring we do (and variosu types for diff
purposes) - we proabably have 5-20% more requests than we should. Its a
lot of overhead - but knowing with 10 minutes that something strange is
occuring with your site makes it worth it.