tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Kajen, Michael" <Michael.Ka...@Streamserve.Com>
Subject RE: compiling mod_jk under AIX (or any other OS it wasn't develop ed on)
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 14:39:49 GMT
Hi,
Some months ago, I built mod_jk for HPUX and AIX with some difficulty. (The
Solaris build was postponed indefinitely.)
I read all the posted documentation, and nothing compiled 'out of the box'.
I found that many people posted identical errors that I encountered.
The basic problem, as I see it, is that the native compilers are too stupid
to compile the dialect of C code now used in public domain software. (I say
this having been a compiler implementer on a variety of platforms many years
ago).
Based on the errors I encountered with the build scripts and the C code, it
is my opinion that the build scripts were never tested on these platforms.

While it is certainly possible to hack the connector source to compile with
the various native compilers, I think a more realistic approach is to use
GCC, which is what I ended up doing.

mk

-----Original Message-----
From: Madere, Colin [mailto:colin.madere@ieminc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 5:47 PM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: compiling mod_jk under AIX (or any other OS it wasn't
develop ed on)

I'm having the same build war with my Solaris 7 box.  Have the build scripts
using cc in places even when gcc is specified, have it telling me my apxs
path is invalid when I am absolutely sure it is valid and is not corrupt in
any way.  Every time I fix one thing, another is a problem.

Anyone know what platform you can actually compile the latest version of
JK/JK2 on without errors?  Isn't the whole purpose of having a buildconf and
configure script to solve most of those "where's the library" and other
platform issues?