tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: The disappearing classpath
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2002 20:32:32 GMT
Hello Eric,

What you are probably seeing is an issue where the library in
shared/lib or common/lib requires access to a library you have in
WEB-INF/lib.  This will not work.  It does work the other way around,
though.  Basically, in WEB-INF/lib, you can reference libraries in
parent classloaders, but the libraries in the parent classloaders are
forbidden to require a reference back to libraries you have in a child
classloader.

Somewhere in your libraries, you probably have some classes that are
doing two-way referencing.  Make double sure that your libraries in
the parent classloader never reference a library that you put in your
child classloader.

Jake

EH> I having trouble with Tomcat 4.0.x Tomcat when deploying a war file.... I'm
EH> getting classdefnotfound exceptions in my web app.

EH> It turns out that this happens only when I am using jar files that are
EH> external to the WEB-INF/lib (ie. in the [tomcat_home]/common/lib directory)
EH> and so it seems that Tomcat stops looking for classes in the WEB-INF/lib
EH> once it uses the external library - because as soon as I put all all the
EH> required libs inside the WEB-INF/lib path, the web app works fine.

EH> However, I have classes that are needed for multiple apps I would like to
EH> deploy the jar in only one place. Can anyone explain to me how I can use
EH> classes in a jar file from the external lib and still have access to my
EH> WEB-INF/lib jars too???

EH> Thanks,
EH> -Eric

EH> --