tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <res0o...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Tag object pooling and immutability in the servlet spec
Date Sun, 27 Oct 2002 06:57:55 GMT

"Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org> wrote in message
news:20021025095901.K36250-100000@icarus.apache.org...

> On 24 Oct 2002, Mr. Tomcat wrote:
>
> > Date: 24 Oct 2002 17:37:36 -1000
> > From: Mr. Tomcat <tomcat@mobile.mp>
> > To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> > Subject: Tag object pooling and immutability in the servlet spec
> >
> > Is there a way to turn off tag object pooling?  Object pooling was a
> > cool performance technique in earlier versions of Java, but now object
> > creation is very fast, so it no longer serves a performance function,
> > and it introduces extra complexity into tag object design.  Is this
> > misfeature going to be phased out?
> >

> No.  Your assumption that it "no longer serves a performance function" is
> not correct.
>
> Just as an example of why it still matters, consider something like this
> (using the JSTL iteration tag):
>
>     <c:forEach var="i" begin="0" end="999">
>       <mytags:foo index="${i}" .../>
>     </c:forEach>
>
> The tag reuse mechanisms allow a page compiler to create one instance of
> the <mytags:foo. tag and reuse it for every iteration through the loop,
> instead of creating 1000 of them.  No matter how cheap object creation
> gets, there is still a difference -- and that difference is still
> significant on webapps with large numbers of users.

While I haven't tracked it down completely, this is my favorite bug-bear for
the 4.1.x (lack of) performance wrt JSPs.  What Craig isn't telling you is
that 4.1.x will issue 2000 calls to synchronized methods to allocate/release
the tags in the above example.  That's got to hurt :).

Since, at the moment, there is no (practical) way to disable tag-pooling,
I'll have to wait until I disable it in the build to know for sure if this
is why it is so slow.