tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject RE: static rules for jk/ajp13
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:49:44 GMT
On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Turner, John wrote:

> I wasn't arguing, merely pointing out as an answer to your question
> that either way requires work from a configuration standpoint.  You
> either need generic Apache rules and specific Tomcat rules, or
> specific Apache rules (like with mod_rewrite) and generic Tomcat
> rules.
>
> There is no such thing as a free lunch, either way you will need to
> configure things manually.  In my opinion, especially if you are the
> sys-admin, the easiest way (and the conventional way) is to setup
> the rules as I posted and tell your developers that is how it should
> be. But, if you're looking for more work for yourself, you are
> welcome to do it however you wish.
[ ... ]

Well, I don't want to argue either :-), but I'm not sure it's really
the conventional way.  It used to be -- i.e. using URLs with
"/servlet/" in them was the original way to invoke servlets, IIRC.
But nowadays, with all the changes to the servlet spec and how
servlets are defined and invoked, I believe it's out of favor, and
even discouraged.

And I'm not sure it's the easiest way either (of course, the question
is, "easiest for whom"?  This may be easier for the sysadmin, but then
it's not necessarily easier for the developer.  I'm a developer
myself, and I've had some conflict with my sysadmin about things like
this :-).  Now, with the way things are separated with Tomcat when
used in conjunction with Apache, some conflicts naturally arise.
Maybe some of the future directions in how this is set up in Tomcat
will ease these conflicts.

And of course, "easiest" shouldn't necessarily be the main/only
criterion to use to decide these things.  Other considerations like
security and user-friendliness should probably be more important.  We
all saw the security problem that popped up recently related to using
URL's with "/servlet/".  Yes, I know there are ways to avoid that
problem while still making use of URL's with "/servlet/", but it may
just be better to avoid them totally.

Anyway, there's my $.02 on it :-).

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer