tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject RE: Tomcat stop when exit telnet session
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2002 18:45:44 GMT
On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, jon wingfield wrote:

> I've never used solaris8 so the following may be in error, but here
> goes.
>
> On linux using & seems not only to put the process in the background
> but also seems to be nohup (no hang up).  On hp-ux 10/11 using &
> seems only to put the process in the background and NOT nohup.
>
> So, i surmise that solaris8 is behaving like hp-ux and that you need
> to use the nohup command instead of just putting the process in the
> background.

Actually, I think it depends what shell/shell family you are using.  I
thought all shells automatically nohup'ed something that is run in the
background, but upon a quick view of the csh and ksh man pages, it
looks like this is true for csh et al, but not ksh et al.

So, I surmise that you are using a csh-type shell (including tcsh) on
your linux machine, but a ksh-type shell (including bash) on your
hp-ux machine :-).  And further that the original poster is using a
ksh-type shell.

Also, I think if you put this command itself in a script (regardless
of what shell kind of script it is), it'll work fine without the nohup.

> so i would try:
>
> nohup /etc/init.d/tomcat4 start &
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Jon