tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mehdi.Ne...@bluewave.com
Subject Re: How to specify the location of a properties file.
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 14:40:36 GMT

Hi,

There was no ServletContext.getResourceAsStream () ... maybe this is
because the whole project is a bunch of utilities for my web-app, and is
not a webapp itself ? The class that needs the properties file, is not part
of the webapp. So anyway, i tried the closest available method.. (or so i
thought);

p.load( javax.servlet.ServletContext.class.getResourceAsStream(
"/WEB-INF/myprops.properties") );

which also did not work.

Cheers,

Mehdi

Mehdi Nejad - Senior Developer
mehdi.nejad@bluewave.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bluewave Ltd - Online Creations
http://www.bluewave.com
Tel. +44 (0)20 7479 8394
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                      "Andreas Probst"

                      <andpro77@gmx.net        To:       "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                      >                        cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: How to specify the location of
a properties file.
                      08/10/2002 13:57

                      Please respond to

                      "Tomcat Users

                      List"

Hi Mehdi,

I have my properties file in /WEB-INF. Eclipse doesn't delete it
there. I access it with

InputStream propsIn  = servletContext.getResourceAsStream("/WEB-
INF/dms.properties");
props.load(propsIn);

As far as I know this also works when the web-app ist deployed
as a war without expansion.

Hope that helps.

Andreas

On 8 Oct 2002 at 12:48, Mehdi.Nejad@bluewave.com wrote:

> I use the getResourceAsStram() method also, but i find that my IDE, tends
> to remove the properties file from my classpath, as soon as I do a build,
> which is not nice.
>
> In the particular case i have now, I don't want to specify the parameters
> in my web.xml, because the utility that requires a properties file, is
not
> actually a web-app, rather a bunch of utility classes used by my webapp.
> Im not keen to implement a "setProperties()" method, as this would mean
> changing stuff, so im just re-copying the properties into my classes
folder
> after each build.. (unless someone can tell me how to tell WSAD to stop
> deleting my properties file... but .. *ahem* thats not a Tomcat question
:)

> Cheers,
>
> Mehdi
>

>                       Justin Ruthenbeck

>                       <justinr@nextengi        To:       "Tomcat Users
List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>                       ne.com>                  cc:

>                                                Subject:  Re: How to
specify the location of a properties file.
>                       07/10/2002 22:20

>                       Please respond to

>                       "Tomcat Users

>                       List"

> Niaz ...
>
> The idea is to load the properties file like you would any other java
> resource at runtime ... this is (almost) always better, IMHO, than using
> something J2EE-specific like initialization parameters to a servlet.
>
> The relevant code would look something like this:
>
> InputStream inStream = this.getClass().getResourceAsStream("/my.props");
> Properties props = new Properties(inStream);
>
> or
>
> Properties prop = new Properties();
> prop.load(this.getClass().getResourceAsStream
("/MyProperties.properties"));