tomcat-users mailing list archives

From jco...@lendleaserei.com
Subject RE: Cannot get mod_jk to work
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2002 18:20:48 GMT

I agree--you could get into a quagmire this way. At this point, I would
just settle for a version compiled against a plain-vanilla Apache 1.3.27
build.

|         |           Milt Epstein     |
|         |           <mepstein@uiuc.ed|
|         |           u>               |
|         |           10/09/2002 02:17 |
|         |           "Tomcat Users    |
|         |           List"            |

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 jcosta@lendleaserei.com wrote:

> Methinks it would be a good idea to maintain the binaries compiled
> to the latest, greatest version of Apache (namely 1.3.27).

Yes, that makes sense, but it's only part of the equation.  For
example, we don't know what version the person who was having the
problem was using.  And the Apache version is only one of the
variables, what about whether it's EAPI or not, or whether it's built
with mod_ssl, etc.  And I'm guessing it's not feasible for the
Apache/Tomcat/Connectors people to have built versions for all
possible permutations.

Anyway, I was just pointing out where the problem may potentially lie.
(And apparently the possibility that there was indeed something wrong
with the binary hasn't been ruled out either.)

> On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Turner, John wrote:
>
> > Are you sure there is something wrong with the binary?  If so, the
> > binary maintainers (like Henri Gomez) would probably appreciate and
> > email message from you with details.  There's no point in having
> > binaries if they aren't usable.  As far as I know, this exact
> > problem (same exact error message) was covered by Henri last week.
>
> I don't think that there's "something wrong with the binary" in the
> sense that it's broken, but rather that the particular binary they're
> trying to use was built for/to/with a different version of Apache, and
> hence won't work with it.  The error message seems to indicate it's
> trying to call an Apache function, ap_ctx_get, that doesn't exist in
> the Apache libraries they have.  So they either need a different
> mod_jk binary, or a different Apache.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu