tomcat-users mailing list archives

From d...@lexmark.com
Subject Tomcat memory usage
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:47:45 GMT

Hi.

Would anyone be able to explain some details about Tomcat memory usage when
it is being installed and run as a service (NT, 2000, XP).

When we repeatedly upload forms, we are seeing the memory usage and Virtual
Memory size in the Task Manager grow and grow and grow.

Sometimes when we run another memory-hungry application, the Memory Usage
for tomcat drops way down (presumably as this is the actual working set
size, and it is getting swapped out), but sometimes (with dual processor
machine, though not sure that makes any difference) it refuses to give up
memory, or does so extremely slowly (having raised tomcat to 200 MB).

We are pretty sure that there are no leaks in our java code, and only small
leaks in the native libraries we are using.

Does anyone have any insight / explanation / advice?

Many thanks,

David