tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robert L Sowders" <rsowd...@usgs.gov>
Subject Re: Installing Tomcat 4.1.12 under Win2k, Apache 1.3.22, PHP4.1.2
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 06:31:33 GMT
To have Apache act as the front end for Tomcat you will need a connector
that both will understand.  Several are provided, for almost all platforms
and web servers.  Some have been used for a longer period of time and are
thus considered more "stable" than the others.  So it all boils down to,
production environments versus development environments.  For production
environments you would probably require a connector that is considered
more "stable" and with which you can get more help if you need it.  So if
your talking about a production environment then for your described
configuration you would probably want to use mod_jk.

JK2 is the being actively developed now, so the documentation and help are
just now getting under way.

The documentation for the connectors is included in Tomcat is available at
http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/ Then look for JK.  If for some reason
that doesn't work then up to date docs are available at
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk2/release/v2.0.1/doc/

The connectors are available at
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/

There are several people who maintain HowTo documentation.  Try a search
at google for mod_jk.  Here are some that might help.

Short list of Apache Tomcat integration How To's for multiple operating
systems.

First try the search at http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/ or Google.

Here is mine for windows using all the latest of each.
ftp://pokey.wr.usgs.gov/pub/rsowders/

Here's another for windows using the "production quality" versions.
http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/~salazar/apache_tomcat.html

Here's another for windows using older "production quality" versions.
http://www.galatea.com/flashguides/apache-tomcat-24-win32.xml

Here's another for windows and Linux using older versions, and mod_webapp.
 http://bruno.vernay.free.fr/HowTo/Apache-tomcat/bWebServer/index.html

Here's one for an unspecified unix using "production quality" versions.
http://www.pubbitch.org/jboss/mod_jk2.html

Here is one using older versions on Linux.
http://www.ubeans.com/tomcat/index.html

Here's a nice one for RH Linux using solid production versions.
http://www.johnturner.com/howto/apache-tomcat-howto.html

rls

Rainer.Bruch@t-online.de (Rainer Bruch)
10/22/2002 06:46 PM