tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mehdi.Ne...@bluewave.com
Subject Re: How to specify the location of a properties file.
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2002 11:48:36 GMT

I use the getResourceAsStram() method also, but i find that my IDE, tends
to remove the properties file from my classpath, as soon as I do a build,
which is not nice.

In the particular case i have now, I don't want to specify the parameters
in my web.xml, because the utility that requires a properties file, is not
actually a web-app, rather a bunch of utility classes used by my webapp.
Im not keen to implement a "setProperties()" method, as this would mean
changing stuff, so im just re-copying the properties into my classes folder
after each build.. (unless someone can tell me how to tell WSAD to stop
deleting my properties file... but .. *ahem* thats not a Tomcat question :)

Cheers,

Mehdi

                      Justin Ruthenbeck

                      <justinr@nextengi        To:       "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                      ne.com>                  cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: How to specify the location of
a properties file.
                      07/10/2002 22:20

                      Please respond to

                      "Tomcat Users

                      List"

Niaz ...

The idea is to load the properties file like you would any other java
resource at runtime ... this is (almost) always better, IMHO, than using
something J2EE-specific like initialization parameters to a servlet.

The relevant code would look something like this:

InputStream inStream = this.getClass().getResourceAsStream("/my.props");
Properties props = new Properties(inStream);

or

Properties prop = new Properties();
prop.load(this.getClass().getResourceAsStream("/MyProperties.properties"));

There was a thread some time ago that went over this.  You can see the
details at:
http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg63518.html

Hope this helps...
justin

At 01:40 PM 10/7/2002, you wrote:
>Justin,
>
>I am facing the same problem. Your approach seems to be an elegent one.
>Would you mind eleborating on the idea a little bit more. Some code
snippet
>would definitely be helpful.
>
>I thank you in advance.
>
>niaz.