tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robert L Sowders" <rsowd...@usgs.gov>
Subject Re: Requests / responses crossing through different virtual hosts
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:39:32 GMT
I seem to remember something about this about three weeks ago.  Don't know
what came of it.  Here is some message traffic about it from tomcat-dev.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-dev&m=103434812630665&w=2

Kurt <kurt@zentense.com>
10/23/2002 03:09 AM
Please respond to "Tomcat Users List"

        To:     tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Requests / responses crossing through different virtual hosts

Hello everybody,

  I've configured Tomcat 4.1.12 LE + jk2 + apache 2.0.43 + JDK 1.4.1 in
a Red Hat 7.2 Linux box.

  It was working ALMOST great!

  I have several name virtual hosts(all domain names go to same IP)
defined in httpd.conf and workers2.properties. Every virtual host points
to a different servlet (and each one is a different web application).

  I've tested the configuration, working very nice. Yesterday I put it
in production server... too early! After several hours I discovered (and
also some users of the system) that randomly requests and responses were
being "crossed" at server.

   For instance, the first hundreds (or even thousands) of request
received at the system were responsed in the expected way. Nice.

   Then, for some seconds (or even 1 or 2 minutes) each request was
responsed with the page of another session and even another virtual
host, or maybe with the right one. It was possible to see the page of a
user that has been logged on a web application in another Apache virtual
host and tomcat webapp!!! Ugly. Of course, it was no possible to use any
link without the right session cookie.

   And then, withouth doing nothing, server continued to work in the
expected way for the next hundreds or even thousands of requests. And,
at any moment, the request / response "crossing" happened again.

   Very astonishing and annoying (we host some e-commerce web
applications!!!).

   When  a request was crossed with a different response, images were
not visible (because every VirtualHost points to different
DocumentRoot). This seems to point to a bug in jk2 mapping logic or
maybe inside tomcat itself, but Apache seems to work right. Maybe a
misconfiguration problem... but a very unusual one!!! Hard to detect and
reproduce.

   Today I've returned to original config (Apache 1.3.26 + Tomcat 4.0.3
+ mod_webapp + JDK 1.3.1) that for a year has been working really fine.

  Has anybody found a problem like this before? Any idea? By default I
will wait for new version of tomcat and try again.

  Iapologize for my english, not-as-good-as-I-would-want... I hope this
message will be inteligible enough...

  Thanks in advance!
  Kurt.-

--