tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "James D. Whittington" <...@whittington.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Administrator
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2002 16:54:23 GMT
I had no luck getting in to the admin or manager pages until this morning
this is what I did.

I changed the tomcat4/conf/tomcat-users.xml to something like this.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<tomcat-users>
  <role rolename="provider"/>
  <role rolename="manager"/>
  <role rolename="admin"/>
  <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="admin,manager,provider"/>
  <user username="jim" password="123456" roles="admin,manager,provider"/>
</tomcat-users>

I had also changed the ownership of the tomcat4 folder and subs to tomcat4,
but I am not sure that affected anything. I had read something about doing
this, I plan on experimenting with this. I am not sure if security would be
compromised either way. Maybe someone else could advise use on that.

I restarted tomcat and httpd and it started working. The original
tomcat-users.xml file looked nothing like this and that confused my newbie
brain.