tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "neal" <nealcab...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: DBCP Woes!
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 00:52:27 GMT
Interesting.  Yeah, this error occassionally pops up and ocassionally goes
away.  When its flaring up I can't get any connections via DBCP.  But, I
still can through regular (non-pooled) JDBC.  Uuugh.

Maybe I should look at Poolman.  Where can you download it from?

Are there many people out there successfully using DBCP?  I don't know if it
matters but I'm using 4.0.4 and had to install all the classes myself.  It
didn't come with Tomcat as it curently does in 4.1.

Neal

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Jackson [mailto:mjackson@cdi-hq.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 3:44 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: DBCP Woes!

I don't think anyone's actively working on it anymore, but it's rock solid
(tm).
At least with the way that I'm using it.

As for the JDBC thing, it looks like it's the underlying JDBC driver.  I
don't
know how DBCP works, but I'd imagine that it's not too different from
Poolman.
The point is that if there isn't a connection it's going to make a new one,
and
that error looks like that's probably where it's occuring.  The error looks
like
it can't find the hsql driver, something to do with the name lookup via
jndi.
But I'm not an expert on jndi, so I probably can't help you there.  If it
manages
to make connections fine up to a point then I'd look at a limit in the
database,
there could be something that'll only allow up to so many connections to be
created without closing the older ones.  But that's just a guess.

If you want to try out poolman I have the .tar.gz's for both the last beta
and
the last "release" version.  I'd be happy to email them to you if you wish.
And I could even through in an example config xml file (points at oracle).

--mikej
-=-----
mike jackson
mjackson@cdi-hq.com