tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "neal" <nealcab...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: DBCP Woes! Ahaa!
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:22:12 GMT
One last question on the topic:

If I configure the conn pooling resources indepdently for 5 different Hosts,
when I set the maxActive parameter, will this be the maxActive connections
*per* Host, or total?  If I set the maxActive to 10 for 5 websites,have am I
effectively allocating 50 connections?

Thanks
Neal

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 10:16 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: DBCP Woes! Ahaa!

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, neal wrote:

> Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 18:48:20 -0800
> From: neal <nealcabage@yahoo.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: DBCP Woes! Ahaa!
>
> AHAAA!
>
> I figured it out ... well ... sort of.
>
> My primary content is www.hotel.us.  But, I also configured hotel.us,
> hotel.us.com, etc to all point to www.hotel.us.  It turns out that the
times
> I was getting the JDBC not bound to Context error, were the times I was
> going to the alternat domains, not www.hotel.us!
>
> Ok, so that is the issue!  Pheew!  BUT, here's another question.  Must I
> configure DBCP in every single one of those other hosts?  I was hoping I
> could jsut switch crossContext=true on the Context containing the correct
> setup.

The crossContext attribute has nothing at all to do with JNDI resources --
it only determines whether the ServletContext.getContext() method will
unconditionally return null or not.  See the documentation (hyperlink
listed below) for more details.

JNDI resources for each <Context> must be configured individually.  If you
are using Tomcat 4.1, there is a mechanism to share the physical resources
themselves (such as a JDBC data source) by defining the resources in the
<GlobalNamingResources> section at the top of server.xml, and then using a
<ResourceLink> element nested inside each <Context> element that links to
it (analogous to a symbolic link in a filesystem).

> Perhaps for this to work the contexts must all be nested within the
> same host? But to have different urls resolve the only way I know to do
it,
> is via a seperate host node, per domain:
>
>       <Host name="hotel.us" appBase="webapps/hotel">
>           <Context path="" docBase="" debug="5"/>
>       </Host>
>
> Any thoughts?

Are all (or most) of the domain names supposed to resolve to the exact
same set of webapps?  If so, you're probably best off using the
"defaulthost"  capability of the <Engine> element:

    <Engine name="Standalone" defaulthost="hotel.us">
        <Host name="hotel.us" appBase="webapps/hotel">
        </Host>
        <Host name="other.com" appBase="...">
        </Host>
    </Engine>

In this scenario, any request received by this Tomcat instance, for any
unrecognized host name will be forwarded to the hotel.us domain.  You can
explicitly list the separate hosts that should not be shared, as
illustrated with the "other.com" entry above.

For more info about all of the server.xml options, see the docs included
in the standard Tomcat distribution at:

  http://localhost:8080/tomcat-docs/config/

or online:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/