tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Brett Neumeier <brett.neume...@ualloyalty.com>
Subject RE: Setting up multiple ports HOWTO?
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:12:52 GMT
Josh G wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering if there's a simple way to have one
> instance of tomcat
> run two different applications, each on the root of a
> different port? Ie I'd
> like to run a test application on 8080, and a development app
> on 8081 or
> some such, preferrably without two tomcat installs. Is there a howto
> somebody could point me to, or is it a simple thing in
> server.xml that could
> be explained here?

Hi Josh,

This comes with the disclaimer that I haven't actually tried to do this.
Also, I'm assuming that you're using tomcat 4.1; I haven't actually gotten
familiar with other versions.

That said, though, I don't think it should be particularly difficult to set
up a single tomcat serving different content to different ports.  In
server.xml you can create multiple <Service> elements, each of which
configures one <Engine> component.  Configure the <Engine> components to
serve whatever applications you care to. Put <Connector> elements bound to
different ports in the different <Service> elements.  <Service> elements are
nested within a <Server> element, of course.  Sample excerpt from a
server.xml file appears below; I'm sure you'll need to modify it to conform
to what you're looking to do.

Incidentally, all of this information can be found in the server
configuration reference:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/index.html

Apologies in advance for whatever bizarro formatting the mail server does to
the following...and by the way, if this works out, please let us know.

Cheers,

bn

-----------

<Service name="Tomcat-8080">

               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
               useURIValidationHack="false" />

    <Engine name="Standalone-8080" defaultHost="localhost.localdomain"
debug="0">
        <Host name="localhost.localdomain" appBase="webapps-8080"
              unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
    </Engine>

</Service>

<Service name="Tomcat-8081">

               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
               useURIValidationHack="false" />

    <Engine name="Standalone-8081" defaultHost="localhost.localdomain"
debug="0">
        <Host name="localhost.localdomain" appBase="webapps-8081"