tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Virtual Hosts
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 18:31:29 GMT
Hi,

>What exactly would I set that to?

Depends on what you want to accomplish.  We typically leave it as
"webapps" and specify different (absolute) docBases for individual
webapps as necessary.

If you have several webapps under the same location, you can change just
the appBase to point to that location instead of changing each webapp's
docBase attribute.

>I've got dev.infinity-tech.com as what I want for my website... I want
>everything served out of /www/docs/dev.infinity-tech.com/

Do you have just one webapp or many?

>Is that what I would set as my appBase?

If you have many webapps, all under /www/docs/dev.infinity-tech.com, and
you don't want to set the docBase for each webapp to that location, then
yes, you would set the above as your appBase.

>Also, I'm a bit shaky on what the ROOT context is.

It's simply the webapp with no context name.  The one that's accessed
when the user points his/her browser to your appBase (in the default
configuration).  If you start changing the appBase and docBases, you can
use the ROOT context for other things.

Tomcat gives you many ways to specify where the documents for your
webapps are located.

I assume you've already read the relevant tomcat docs.  If not, look at
the host reference at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/host.html
and the context reference at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/context.html