tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: MBeans?
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 15:25:30 GMT
Hi,

>I am building a custom user system which extends that which tomcat
4.1.12
>did - basically an extended version of the UserDatabaseRealm and
>UserDatabase - to meet a companies specific security needs.  As such,
any

Sounds interesting...

>classes I write for this go into the server/lib directory.  I noticed I
>could disable JMX support and everything worked fine... - but since
this is

True.

Check out http://www.onjava.com/pub/st/42

>I made the decision to do this for many reasons - but primarily because
>like the new administration features of 4.1.12, and (except for
encoding
>issues in realms), I like the catalina interface.

Yup.

Except they weren't designed to be as extensible as you'd like them to,
with generic MBean support like JBoss provides. ;0

>I have heard a lot of good things about JBoss - mostly integrating
various
>J2EE components - however I am not yet familiar enough with ejb's, and
jms
>to use them in a production environment.  Eventually, when I get out of

You don't need to use them if you use JBoss.  Part of the fun of a J2EE
server is that you only use the pieces you need, but if you find that
you need something else, it's usually already available.  So I'd suggest
you try JBoss, integrated with tomcat, for the best of both worlds ;)
Use JBoss' advanced and yet easy to use MBean support, and tomcat for
servlets / JSPs, etc.

Good luck,

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics