tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Malachi de AElfweald <>
Subject Re: HOWTO for Apache 2.0.43 and Tomcat 4.1.12 using mod_jk2
Date Sat, 05 Oct 2002 19:33:22 GMT
I did step 1, and even went into the jk directory and did "ant native" as well (per the jk/README.txt)

just in case...

I did step 2...

Step 3 will not work on Apache2 according to the Apache2 documentation :
"The AddModule and ClearModuleList directives no longer exist. "

As such, I did LoadModule, but that fails...
What OS are you running? I think that is part of my problem.
I am running FreeBSD. It said it couldn't find pthread_mutex_unlock --
so I tried installing pthread support... no luck...

Looking closer, I see that jk/native2/common/jk_mutex_thread.c is talking
about pthreads... and it says that it is a wrapper for apr....  Which is
probably where the problem comes from since the for the jk
directory was a pain to figure out, due to the fact that apache2 on FreeBSD
has files in /usr/local/lib/apache2, /usr/local/libexec/apache2, /usr/local/etc/apache2,
/usr/local/www....  I tried to fix the to match the actual system,
but maybe the build isn't good enough to handle it...  the apr files are in the
same directories listed there, and I modified the to reflect that.
** So perhaps someone can tell me how to correctly build the "jk" directory
on FreeBSD?

But, in regards to your comment -- I completely agree... Try setting up jk2 with
jni and find out how many examples are out there... NONE that I could find on google.
So, it is all guesswork since the documentation isn't really all there.

10/5/2002 12:07:32 PM, "Michael Riess" <> wrote:

>Helped myself ... used mod_jk2 for 2.0.42 for Apache 2.0.43 and it didn't
>work, so I built myself. For anyone trying to use Tomcat with
>Apache 2.0 I suggest the following way for fast results:
>1. Obtain the source for jakarta-tomcat-connectors. try building the whole
>thing using ant until it's done or you see libtool complaining about
>2. In jk/build/Apache2 you should find the file, copy that to
>your Apache installation module directory
>3. Add "AddModule jk2_module modules/" to your httpd.conf
>4. in your tomcat 4.1.12 (or similar) installation, edit the
>conf/ to contain the following:
>5. create in the APACHE conf directory, containing:
>Done! I didn't get the unix socket communication to work, but I guess that
>I've already achieved more than many desperate newbies trying to use Tomcat
>with Apache.
>Good luck to all of you! If anyone reading this knows a bettewr procedure,
>I'd be glad to give it a try.
>P.S.: To any developer: Don't you think it's a shame that users like me have
>to do these things, compiling, ignoring errors, adapting config files until
>it seems to work? I mean, you keep cleaning up code, easing configuration,
>and the most important things (for instance getting it to work with THE
>standard web server) remain a mystery for 85% of all potential tomcat users
>(I estimate)? IMO you should get the Apache developers to include mod_jk2 as
>a standard module, if you don't have the time to maintain it properly. It
>seems to depend more on the Apache source than on tomcat.
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
>For additional commands, e-mail: <>

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>