tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Michael Riess" <>
Subject HOWTO for Apache 2.0.43 and Tomcat 4.1.12 using mod_jk2
Date Sat, 05 Oct 2002 19:07:32 GMT
Helped myself ... used mod_jk2 for 2.0.42 for Apache 2.0.43 and it didn't
work, so I built myself. For anyone trying to use Tomcat with
Apache 2.0 I suggest the following way for fast results:

1. Obtain the source for jakarta-tomcat-connectors. try building the whole
thing using ant until it's done or you see libtool complaining about
2. In jk/build/Apache2 you should find the file, copy that to
your Apache installation module directory
3. Add "AddModule jk2_module modules/" to your httpd.conf
4. in your tomcat 4.1.12 (or similar) installation, edit the
conf/ to contain the following:

5. create in the APACHE conf directory, containing:

Done! I didn't get the unix socket communication to work, but I guess that
I've already achieved more than many desperate newbies trying to use Tomcat
with Apache.

Good luck to all of you! If anyone reading this knows a bettewr procedure,
I'd be glad to give it a try.

P.S.: To any developer: Don't you think it's a shame that users like me have
to do these things, compiling, ignoring errors, adapting config files until
it seems to work? I mean, you keep cleaning up code, easing configuration,
and the most important things (for instance getting it to work with THE
standard web server) remain a mystery for 85% of all potential tomcat users
(I estimate)? IMO you should get the Apache developers to include mod_jk2 as
a standard module, if you don't have the time to maintain it properly. It
seems to depend more on the Apache source than on tomcat.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message