tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nathan Phelps <>
Subject Tomcat 4.1.12 taking IPs or Ports not assigned to it?
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 19:20:53 GMT

  - Single Windows 2000 (SP3) Server with JDK 1.4.1_01
  - Running IIS 5.0 and Tomcat 4.1.12
  - Two IP addresses assigned to a single NIC (, and for
  - IIS has one website (all other websites have been stopped) assigned to
  - Tomcat has one website assigned to
  - If Tomcat is started after IIS, Tomcat reports "
    Address already in use: JVM_Bind:80"
  - If Tomcat is started before IIS, IIS reports "Address already in use"
  - Tomcat server.xml file is included at bottom.

I have a Windows 2000 Server (SP3) with IIS 5.0 and Tomcat 4.1.12 installed
using JDK 1.4.1_01.  The machine has two static IPs assigned to it (I'll use, and for examples) and the IIS website is configured to use
one of these address at port 80 (  The default Tomcat HTTP1.1
connector has been updated and the configuration file has been modified by
adding the "address" attribute and assigning the other IP ( to it.
The "port" attribute has been modified to port 80.

When I try and start Tomcat, it reports that the address is already in use.
However, I have verified that it is indeed NOT in use.  I have verified this
assumption by creating an additional IIS website and assigning it to the IP
I had assigned to the Tomcat connector ( as well as to port 80.  I
can start both IIS websites ( and and access them both
with the correct IPs.

An additional test I conducted was to stop all IIS websites, and then start
Tomcat on its previously assigned IP ( on port 80.  It started
successfully and could be accessed.  Then, however, I tried to start the
original IIS website (on, and it failed to start reporting the
address was in use.  The ONLY way I could get them both running was to
assign them different port numbers (which sort of eliminates the whole
purpose of having two different IPs in the first place).  How can I fix this

My configuration file (with the sample IP and comments removed) looks like

  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener"
                debug="0" port="-1" login="admin" password="admin"/>

  <Service name="Tomcat-Standalone">

               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"

    <Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">

              prefix="catalina_log." suffix=".txt"

      <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">

                 directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_access_log."

                 directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_log." suffix=".txt"

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message