tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ralph Einfeldt" <ralph.einfe...@uptime-isc.de>
Subject AW: Tomcat(s) on web server or database server
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:08:27 GMT
I think it depends mostly on the following factors
- amount of cpu/memory usage in your application
- amount of cpu/memory usage on the database
- amount of cpu/memory usage of tomcat
- amount of cpu/memory usage of apache
- the amount of network traffic between your
  application and the database
- the amount of network traffic between tomcat
  and the webserver

All of this figures are dependend on your application,
and the database design. So there is no general answer.

I think you have to test that.

On single processor machines our expierience shows
that it is better to put the servlet engine (it wasn't
tomcat but mod_jserv+gnujsp) on the webserver than on
the database server. (Apart from the fact that our
sysadmin is a strict advocate for the separation of
concerns, so he wouldn't like a servlet engine on the
database server anyway)

BTW: Why would you like to run two instances of tomcat
on one server ? If it is mainly for performance reasons,
I think that you are better off with one tomcat. As
tomcat/java is multithreaded it will take advantage of
the additional processors anyway. With the loadbalancer
you introduce more complexity in the setup, more
overhead for each request, more memory consumption and
it can make your application more sophisticated. (Load
balancing isn't transparent to all kind of applications.
If you use information that has more than session scope
you have to take care of that)