tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ralph Einfeldt" <ralph.einfe...@uptime-isc.de>
Subject AW: WHICH IS THE BEST WAY TO HAVE MULTIPLE TOMCAT SERVERS?
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 14:46:55 GMT
As long as you just need one version of tomcat I recommend
to install one tomcat with serveral instances.

As I can't find my own post in the archive (gives alway to
many or to few results) here's the repost of my last mail:

We install different versions of tomcat like this:

/usr/local/java/tomcat-4.0.3
/usr/local/java/tomcat-4.1.10

For each site we have something like this:

/www/online/<site>
  /log
    dirctory for the log file
  /conf
    web.xml
    server.xml
      and other files that contain the site specific setup for tomcat
      (tailored versions of the files that are provided by
       tomcat)
      make shure that the combination of IP and port are unique for
      each instance of tomcat.
  /work
    Directory where tomcat stores the genared files and classes
  /webapps
     Directories for the contexts
  /bin
    start.sh
      Script that calls the tomcat version that we want to use
      for this site with the environment for this site:

      JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java/jdk/sun1.3.1
      CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/java/tomcat-4.0.3
      CATALINA_BASE=/www/online/<site>

Ralph Einfeldt
Uptime Internet Solution Center GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Hosting, Content Management, Java Consulting
http://www.uptime-isc.de