tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Reynir Hübner <>
Subject Strange behaviour in XP (minimize to garbagecollect)
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:31:28 GMT
I've deployed some webapps in tomcat running windows XP.
The thing is, I startup tomcat with some params in a command window, it runs for a while and
takes up some memory, as it should, (but still maybe a little bit too much) so I increased
the memory available for the java process.

When I look at the Task Manager, I can see how much memory the javaprocess is taking. It seems
to always increase, it never releases memory so before the computer goes out of memory it's
up to 800mbs (takes few days), to release the memory I have to MINIMIZE the window, the java
process starts taking something like 2-5 mbs. So it seems to me (at first sight) that the
garbage collection is triggered by minimizing the window, and that is the only way of getting
it to run.

Has anyone had or seen similar behaviour ? What's the fix ?, how does it run if it's being
run as a service ?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message