tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael.Bom...@WellsFargo.COM
Subject HTTP Connection Pool grows continuously
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:44:17 GMT
I am running Tomcat 4.0.3 standalone on WIndows 2000 Server. I have a
maximum of perhaps 50 concurrent connections at any given time. I have the
following server.xml configuration for the HTTPConnector:

port="80" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="-1" enableLookups="true"
redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="1200000"
/>
My problem is this:
My connection thread pool grows continuously until the point that all JVM
memory allocated to Tomcat is exhausted. This can be observed in the
catalina log with messages like these:
2002-10-24 12:02:14 HttpProcessor[80][1077] Starting background thread
2002-10-24 12:02:14 HttpProcessor[80][1078] Starting background thread
I understand that maxProcessors="-1" allows Tomcat to create as many threads
as it needs to satisfy http requests, but doesn't connection thread pooling
allow reuse? I would expect that the pool would not grow any larger than the
highest number of concurrent connections. Previously when I used
maxProcessors to set a connection limit, I found that I rapidly reached this
limit, which is why I set the max value to infinity. But this is not how I
would expect connection thread pooling - which is supposed to be the default
option in 4.0 - to work. What am I missing?
Thanks for your help.