tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Scalability - Long
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:31:39 GMT

We host 15 separate Tomcat instances (3.1) on a single machine.  The apps
use MySQL.

The machine is dual-P3 1GHz, 2GB RAM.  Red Hat 7.2, Apache 1.3.26.  The
connector is mod_jserv.  Not sure which JDK, probably 1.3.

The usage is high, all of the apps are graphics manipulation apps serving
users globally (Pacific Rim, North America, Europe), 24/7.  The apps require
frequent callouts to third party apps like Adobe Distiller using standard
command-line calls (no API or other integration).

Uptime is 139 days, load rarely goes over 50%.  I did restart all of the
Tomcats last week, but that was due to an application patch.  Prior to that,
they hadn't been restarted in several months, and I don't plan to restart
them for a couple more, when the next patch is released.

Knock on wood, perhaps we've been lucky, but I think our situation is pretty
normal, and definitely what I would expect in a UNIX environment.

John