tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: WHICH IS THE BEST WAY TO HAVE MULTIPLE TOMCAT SERVERS?
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 15:13:28 GMT

Multiple instances of Tomcat is a better way to go, see Ralph's explanation
posted previously in this thread.  One instance of Tomcat, even on multiple
ports, means that everyone will wait while one person does maintenance or
stops and starts Tomcat.  It's much more productive to give every one their
own environment to do as they wish.

That said, it would also make a lot more sense to have your 3 developers use
an OS that is more conducive to development.  Tomcat is a reference
implementation...if an app works on Tomcat on a Redhat box it will work on
Tomcat on a Windows box.  We have 3 developers right now working on a new
app...each has Tomcat installed on their machine.  The staging and
production servers are Redhat...so far there have been no problems deploying
apps developed on Windows to the Redhat servers.

John