tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Manger, James H" <James.H.Man...@team.telstra.com>
Subject Tomcat: using an extra CharsetProvider in a servlet
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:41:41 GMT
I would like to use a non-standard character set for selected operations
within a servlet.  I have implemented a CharsetProvider, Charset,
CharsetEncoder & CharsetDecoder.

I can use my new character set from a Java application by listing the
CharsetProvider class name in the following file within the application JAR.
	META-INF/services/java.nio.charset.spi.CharsetProvider
(see API for CharsetProvider)

My application (without any particular "import" statements) can make calls
such as:
	String msg = "Hello, World!";
	byte[] encoding = msg.getBytes("MY-CHARSET");

I cannot get these lines to work in a servlet -- the
msg.getBytes("MY-CHARSET") throws:
	java.nio.charset.UnsupportedCharsetException: MY-CHARSET

QUESTION: How do I tell the system running my servlet about my character
set?

Adding a JAR with the character set (and META-INF... file) to the jre/ext/
directory makes the character set available to all Java apps - but not to
the servlet!  Adding the JAR to tomcat/common/lib/ did not seem to work
either.

My servlet can see my CharsetProvider class, but my CharsetProvider is not
"registered" with the system (and it needs to be "registered" for
String.getBytes("MY-CHARSET") to work).

[JWSDP 1.0_01, J2SE 1.4.0_01, Tomcat 4.1.2, SunOS 5.6]

James Manger