tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Skorupski Paweł ,(PZUZ)" <P.Skorup...@pzuzycie.com.pl>
Subject RE: nobody processes
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:10:08 GMT
I saw that only talk and ntalk are started as user nobody.tty, the rest of
services are started as root.
The parent process which started "nobody" processes are started by user root
from inetd command.
These processes have command httpd - where is the connection ?

Pawel

-----Original Message-----
From: Nikola Milutinovic [mailto:Nikola.Milutinovic@ev.co.yu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 1:08 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: nobody processes

Skorupski Paweł ,(PZUZ) wrote:
> Thanks for advice,
>
> I find out and processes with 'user nobody' are created by process with
> command inetd.

Aha, we are getting somewhere.

> I don't know if the processes with command httpd can be started by process
> 'inetd' if service "http" doesn't exist in inetd.conf.

Usually, this is not the case. I don't think that Apache can even work this
way.
Anyway, "big" servers, like Sendmail, Apache, Cyrus IMAP (since 2.0) will
run as
standalone daemons, not from InetD.

Take a look at your /etc/inetd.conf and see what servers are run from it as
user
"nobody" and you'll be one step closer to finding your problem source.

Nix.