tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Robert Parker <RPar...@membersequity.com.au>
Subject RE: Tomcat(s) on web server or database server
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:22:28 GMT
Members Equity Email System

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Einfeldt [mailto:ralph.einfeldt@uptime-isc.de]
Sent: Wednesday, 23 October 2002 10:08PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: AW: Tomcat(s) on web server or database server

[snip...]
>BTW: Why would you like to run two instances of tomcat
>on one server ? If it is mainly for performance reasons,
>I think that you are better off with one tomcat. As
>tomcat/java is multithreaded it will take advantage of
>the additional processors anyway...[snip]

On the dual proc box, Ive found average response to be better with 2 tomcats
under load. My suspcion is its because I effectively get parallel garbage
collection. For example I end up with 2 smaller heaps for gc rather than one
larger heap and whilst one heap may be locked during a gc cycle, the other
instance may be running fine with half the client load. Thus it appears that
the maximum response times are less with the two instances and this affects
the overall average.

With the two instances I *may* also get higher availability, since if 1
instance crashes, I still have one left to service requests.

regards

Rob