tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat/log4j Question
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 04:42:01 GMT

Log4j requires its own logging universe in the default setup.  The easiest
way to do this in a servlet container is to put the log4j jar in
WEB-INF/lib of each web application you have.  You can put a
log4j.properties or a log4j.xml in WEB-INF/classes for default
configuration initialization.  There are more advanced (and complex) ways
of using Log4j such as this:

http://qos.ch/containers/sc.html

Contrary to what "Mr. Tomcat" wrote saying that the j2sdk1.4.x logging and
Log4j had no significant functional differences, you might want to read up
on the docs for log4j and see for youself that log4j is infinitely more
powerful than the j2sdk1.4.x logging and is compatible with
Java 1.1+.  Log4j-1.3 will provide even more power and will be compatible
with jdk1.2+.  Either way, the way you define loggers in your code is
really no different between the two logging frameworks.  In fact, all you'd
have to do to switch between the two for most cases would be to switch the
import statement from "import org.apache.log4j.Logger;" to "import
java.util.logging.Logger;" and vice-versa.  See the following for details:

http://qos.ch/logging/thinkAgain.html

I'm not going to detail all the features.  That has already been done.  If
you want to get a fast start, the main contributor to Log4j wrote a book
about it.  I suggest grabbing a copy to get up to speed quickly:

http://qos.ch/log4jBook.html

of course there is free documentation here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/documentation.html

Jake