tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: virtual servers and class libraries
Date Sun, 13 Oct 2002 03:26:51 GMT

It depends on your situation.

If you have a bunch of apps that are all synced to use specific libraries,
or those libraries are pretty stable such as gnu-regexp-1.1.4.jar (has been
at that version for a while) then you can put them in $CATALINA_HOME/lib
(same as shared/lib in Tomcat-4.1.x).  If they are to be used by both the
server and the webapps, then put them in common/lib.

The thing is, generally, webapps are unique entities....especially if they
are built by different groups of people.  So, if one webapp needs version
5.6 and the other webapp needs version 5.7 of some library, trying to make
them share the same one will only bring you grief.  Disk space is
cheap.  Webapps should come with the jars they need except for libraries
such as XML/DOM libraries which are required to be loaded via a parent
classloader (lib or shared/lib, and common/lib).

So, your organization controls both the webapp library versioning and the
server, you can probably share most things, but in any other case, you
should be putting all your library dependencies in WEB-INF/lib.

Of course, that just IMHO.

Jake