tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: Security RISK !
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:08:24 GMT
401/404 - Forbidden vs not found doesn't matter as long as the intruder
is forbidden. Relying on confusing the user is a nice technique to
preventing intruders since it may waste more of their time and make them
more likely to give up. But that may make others more determined to try
to break in.

Depending on how apache is configured, the intruder will be able to view
the HTTP response header and seeing you may be running mod_jk/mod_webapp
or whatever. The intruder can also see if you are running jhtml,jsp, or
/servlet/ - it will be easy to deduce you are using some servlet engine.
Some servlet engines also set a session cookie per webapp. It would be
easy to deduce that jsessionid cookie for /myfooapp indicates that
/myfooapp is a webapp and it has a WEB-INF. So I will first ask for:
http://bar/myfooapp/WEB-INF/web.xml. And hope I have a novice config and
next ask for: http://bar/myfooapp/WEB-INF/ to see if I can get a
directory listing. Then the fun really begins.

Personally - I like my way better since I run multiple webapps on our
servers. That way I don't have to explicitly protect each WEB-INF.
(Which could get forgotten while installing a new webapp)