tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kendall Gifford <kend...@jedis.com>
Subject Tomcat 4.1 Caching Classes?
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 21:01:38 GMT
Hello all, I've a question regarding some strange (undocumented?)
caching behavior in Tomcat. We've been moving some code (mostly JSP's
with some supporting classes) from a server running an older (3.x?)
version of Tomcat to a FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE server running Tomcat 4.1.

Since this transition, there have been a few problems and some
classes, used by all the JSP's in an entire context, needed to be
modified. This exposed some odd behavior, the topic of this post. We
noticed that after we replaced the class file and restarted Tomcat,
the web application behaved as though it still had the old version of
the class file.

To test if there was some caching going on, the class file was
completely removed and Tomcat restarted. The web application STILL
behaved as if the class file were still there. Note that this is an
independent class file and not a JSP page we're talking about. But,
just to be safe, when restarting Tomcat we also cleaned out the
context's work directory as well.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this behavior? Is
there some place where Tomcat is caching class files (not in the work
directory)?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN       /\
NO HTML/RTF EMAILS!        /  \