tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christos Karras <ckar...@capella.org>
Subject apache+mod_jk: graceful restart of tomcat
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:13:40 GMT
I use Apache 1.3.27 connected to Tomcat 4.1.12 with mod_jk, using ajp13. When I restart Tomcat,
if someone tries to access a jsp/servlet from Apache, he gets an error message from Apache
("Internal Server Error - The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and
was unable to complete your request.") until Tomcat has finished restarting.

Is there a way to tell mod_jk to wait until Tomcat has finished restarting (retry connecting
to the tomcat ajp port until it responds or until a certain timeout) and then serve the request?
If that's not possible, can I display a different error message than the default? (I don't
want to use the apache ErrorDocument directive because that would hide other unexpected errors
too and give a misleading message)

Another solution I considered is to use jk's load balancing:
- Two tomcat servers with identical configuration (except port numbers) would run simultenaously
on the same machine
- When I need to restart tomcat (configuration change, new virtual host added), I would first
restart only the first tomcat server (all requests would then be sent to the second server
by mod_jk), and when the first one finishes starting, restart the second one

Has anyone done something similar to this? Do you think it's a good idea or would I just be
wasting memory/cpu time?

Thanks