tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Tolborg <n...@tolborg.dk>
Subject Tomcat 4.1+ Ant install + JNDI DataSource
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:12:04 GMT
Hi all

I have set up a development environment for tomcat. I am using ant to
install and reload my webapp with the tomcat manager.
I followed the "App Developer Guide" to set it up.

The basic stuff works just fine. My webapp is "hot" deployed with ant
and I can reload on the fly!
I wanted to setup a JNDI DataSource, so I followed the howto on:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html
to do this.

But since the ant install tool doesn't create a <Context> node in the
server.xml file I can't see how I can define the Resource and
ResourceParams for my JNDI DataSource.
This results in the fact that I am getting the following exception:
-------
java.sql.SQLException: Cannot load JDBC driver class 'null'
         at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSou
rce.java:529)
         at
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(BasicDataSource
.java:312)
         at foo.DBTest.init(DBTest.java:23)
---------
when loading the test.jsp file.

I tried to setup the Resource as a global resource, but to use that
resource I still need a ResourceLink in the Context of my webapp -
right? Anyway - doing that gave my the same exception.

Also - I read somewhere that I should remove the resource-ref from my
web.xml file when I use a global resource. But that didn't help either.

On a final note... When I run "ant dist" and deploy my webapp with the
war file and manually edit the Context node with the Resource and
ResourceParams, then everything works just fine. I would just love to be
able to figure out how to make it work with the ant install thingy.

Thanks,
Thomas Tolborg