tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Padhu Vinirs <p.pa...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Custom Tag / JavaBean question
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:45:39 GMT

Looks like you defined a "type" as "java.util.Vector" ( wtih rtexprvalue
set to true ) in your tld for the accessList attribute ?

-- padhu

Cindy Ballreich wrote:

>I have a custom tag that takes a collection as one of it's parameters. I'd like to be
able to give the name of an attribute (a String) as the value and have the tag find the attribute
from the pageContext. This doesn't seem like it should be too difficult. I have setters that
look like this in my tag...

>  protected Collection accessList;
>
>  public void setAccessList(String accessList) {
>    Object o = pageContext.findAttribute(accessList);
>    if (o instanceof Collection) {
>      this.accessList = (Collection)o;
>    }
>  }
>
>  public void setAccessList(Collection accessList) {
>    this.accessList = accessList;
>  }
>
>...and the tag looks like this on the jsp page...
>
>  <jsp:useBean id="accessList" scope="request" class="java.util.Vector" />
>  <mpi:accessList id="access" accessList="accessList" ... >
>  </mpi:accessList>
>
>... but I keep getting errors like this...
>
>org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to convert string 'accessList' to class java.util.Collection
for attribute accessList: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Property Editor not registered
with the PropertyEditorManager
>	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspRuntimeLibrary.getValueFromPropertyEditorManager(JspRuntimeLibrary.java:749)
>
>If I use a run time value in the tag I don't get the error...
>
>  <jsp:useBean id="accessList" scope="request" class="java.util.Vector" />
>  <mpi:accessList id="access" accessList='<%= accessList %> ... >
>  </mpi:accessList>
>
>So I have a workaround for the problem, but I'd still like to understand why the first
example doesn't work when everything I've read says that it should.