tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Padhu Vinirs <>
Subject Re: Using external login pages for web applications
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:58:24 GMT

Correct me if I understood this wrong:

Login Form html ( external web site )  --->    Servlet/JSP  ( Your web
site )

If you setup https access in your web site, then the external form can
securely send the login info to your servlet, which can authenticate the
user, set a session attribute, which every secure page can check before
allowing user to continue. Else redirect to the login form again.

-- padhu

Johann Uhrmann wrote:

>our public internet site should contain a form which allows the user
>to type in his/her user name and password.
>Then, the user should be logged in with this data in a web application.
>Does the form based login mechanism of tomcat support such a login
>procedure or does it require that the user tries to access a protected
>page before he/she can type in the username and password?
>It would be more convenient to have a login form on a external (high
>traffic) site than requesting the user to click a link to a different
>login page. (one more click scares away a lot of users)
>Is there a solution or is this already a supported scenario?
>Thank You,
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
>For additional commands, e-mail: <>

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>