tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: Shared JSP taglibs
Date Sat, 05 Oct 2002 10:27:03 GMT
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> In my experience, the (small) memory savings of putting classes into
> /shared/lib (or /common/lib) is not worth the hassles it brings:

What about building a "server-wide environment"? Suppose you have a set of Tag
Libraries that you either trust or wish to enforce on your server. Then it would
make sense to place them "server-wide". Of course, there are reasons against
such a strategy.

> - All the webapps running in this Tomcat installation must
>   share the same version of the tag library (or whatever -- it's
>   not just limited to these), so you have to upgrade them all
>   together in lockstep.

Perhaps not such a bad idea. Of course, this puts an additional strain on the
administartor.

> - If your shared library wants to access application-specific classes
>   that are only available in /WEB-INF/classes or /WEB-INF/lib, you
>   have to program them specifically to access those classes via the
>   thread context class loader.

True. Could Tomcat in some distant future release have a setup option in
server.xml on which global/local classes to use. It may be too much to ask. And
it is definitely a road to chaos.

> - You are depending on a non-portable feature of Tomcat (no concept
>   of shared library directories is required by any of the Java specs;
>   although most servers offer something like it, they are all
>   implemented differently).

Yup.

Nix.