tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin Jacobson <marti...@libero.it>
Subject Re: Help with test needed.
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2002 07:30:49 GMT
Robert L Sowders wrote:

> I've just about completed a new site and I've been wondering about a few
> things, specifically how does the public see it.  It's an ArcIMS site and
> I know it will appear to load a bit slow, (that's just how ArcIMS works).
> I'm hosting the front end in one place and the data at another.  I'm
> wondering about the network latency that is built in.
>
> If you would go to http://terra.wr.usgs.gov/pilots/wa-id/viewer.htm, then zoom in about
three
> times and click on the orthophoto check box that comes up on the right
> hand side, then hit the refresh button, this final refresh will give you
> an idea of the network latency.
>
> I can't see it because I'm on the DOI backbone.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

I just tried it - I'm connected @ 10Mb/s to a fast backbone in Italy -
and although it takes ~ 10 sec to display the page, the delay BEFORE it
starts loading the image is only of the order of a second or two, so
it's not too bad. I'm glad I'm not trying this at home via 56K dialup,
'though!

HTH,

Martin