tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <>
Subject Help with Filters
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 21:34:34 GMT

I just learned about filters and managed to get one up and running in a few
minutes.  Amazing!

I originally had it mapped as:

It's working a little _too_ well.  I'm using Struts, and the filter seems to
be getting hit repeatedly before I finally see the page appear.  My guess is
that each 'forward' gets filtered.

I tried to change it to:

So that my initial "welcome" page won't get filtered, and so hopefully only
the initial / hit will get filtered, and only once.
Unfortunately, this isn't working--
URL's like http://abc.def.ghi/dev/ aren't getting filtered,
and neither are
ones with parameters in the URL:

So I'm guessing I've done the url-pattern wrong, but all the examples I can
find just have /* to filter all requests.  I thought I saw a reference to an
example app that uses filters, but I don't see it in the examples that came
with 4.1.12.

Thanks for any hints...

Wendy Smoak
Applications Systems Analyst, Sr.