tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <Wendy.Sm...@asu.edu>
Subject Help with Filters
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 21:34:34 GMT

I just learned about filters and managed to get one up and running in a few
minutes.  Amazing!

I originally had it mapped as:
<filter>
    <filter-name>webAuthFilter</filter-name>
    <filter-class>edu.asu.vpia.example.WebAuthFilter</filter-class>
</filter>

<filter-mapping>
    <filter-name>webAuthFilter</filter-name>
    <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
</filter-mapping>

It's working a little _too_ well.  I'm using Struts, and the filter seems to
be getting hit repeatedly before I finally see the page appear.  My guess is
that each 'forward' gets filtered.

I tried to change it to:
    <url-pattern>/*.do</url-pattern>

So that my initial "welcome" page won't get filtered, and so hopefully only
the initial /editContact.do hit will get filtered, and only once.
Unfortunately, this isn't working--
URL's like http://abc.def.ghi/dev/processContact.do aren't getting filtered,
and neither are
ones with parameters in the URL:
http://abc.def.ghi/dev/editContact.do?contactKey=4100&action=edit

So I'm guessing I've done the url-pattern wrong, but all the examples I can
find just have /* to filter all requests.  I thought I saw a reference to an
example app that uses filters, but I don't see it in the examples that came
with 4.1.12.

Thanks for any hints...

--
Wendy Smoak