tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Cox, Charlie" <c...@cincom.com>
Subject RE: Upgrading from 3.2.1 to 4.0.6
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:03:17 GMT

define your host name(<host name="myhost" ...>). then define your context
'foo'. You will have to check the docs for the new syntax for host and
context, but they are somewhat similar IIRC.

> You mention  below that the web.xml file is backwards
> compatable does that
> hold for the Server.xml file as well? in other words, Can I port the
> Server.xml file from the 3.2.1 server to the 4.0.6 server and
> only change
> the ports and minor other setting to get the old webapps
> working on the
> new server? All I really want is to get the webapps from the
> old server
> running on the new one with minimal changes to the configruation.

no, the server.xml is changed. you need to define your hosts/contexts in the
new format.

> you do not want to overwrite /conf/web.xml. you can copy the
> web.xml from
> your webapps along with all your code and it should work since it's
> backwards compatible.
>
> So if I copy the webapp and the web.xml file from the 3.2.1
> server to the
> new 4.0.6 server they are fully backwards compatable?!? Nice!

handy indeed. But only copy the WEB-INF/web.xml in your webapp. You do not
want to overwrite the new conf/web.xml.

Charlie