tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Mattos <matt...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Setting up an environment variable in Tomcat 4.1
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:00:56 GMT

So how would I set up "indemand.env" as a system property? Also, yes, that's how I'm gettng
it in code.
 "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org> wrote:

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, John Mattos wrote:

> Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:36:33 -0800 (PST)
> From: John Mattos
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Setting up an environment variable in Tomcat 4.1
>

> Strange.
>
> I've set up the envieonment variable needed for my app as follows
>

> name="indemand.env" override="true"
>
> type="java.lang.String"
>
> value="c:\tomcat4.1\indemand_env_tomcat.properties"/>
>
> I feel like that means it's set up.
>
> When I run the app, I get the message...
>
> indemand.env system property has not been defined

Environment variables are *not* system properties. Indeed, system
properties would not be a good choice for things like this, because they
are global to an entire Tomcat installation, while environment variables
are specific to a webapp.

> What's wrong with this picture? Am I missing something?

How are you trying to retrieve this value? You should be doing something
like:

String value = (String) ic.lookup("java:comp/env/indemand.env");

> John

Craig

For additional commands, e-mail:

John L. Mattos