tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John B <jjbnfoj...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Servlets deployment directory location
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 06:45:10 GMT
> Suppose I have this servlet
>
> \WEBAPPS\ROOT\WEB-INF\CLASSES\HelloServlet
>
> for versions 4.0.6 and before , I could use
> "http://localhost:8080/servlet/HelloServlet"
>
> but now under 4.1.12, it is no longer working. It
> just cannot find it at
> all. However, normal HTML pages can still be
> accessed just like
> before.

The thing that let you use the /servlet directory was
a servlet invoker.  Due to possible security problems,
it was disabled by default.  So before you turn it
back on, make sure that security is not too big of a
concern for you.  Someone else is surely better
qualified than I to explain the mechanism of the
invoker.

That having been said, if you want to turn it back on,
go to

http://www.moreservlets.com/Using-Tomcat-4.html

to get directions on it.  (Marty Hall is quite the
authority on Java Servlets & Server Pages).  Anyways,
hope that helps.