tomcat-users mailing list archives

From grenoml <gren...@yahoo.com>
Subject Unable to access Tomcat manager after installing Struts wars.
Date Sat, 19 Oct 2002 05:30:35 GMT
I am using Tomcat 4.1.9 which has been running fine up
until today when I downloaded the struts wars and
restarted Tomcat.  Now I can't access the manager app.
 I look in tomcat-users and the correct username and
password are there but when I try to login to the
manager all I ever get is a 401 error.  Is there
anything that the struts wars (struts-*.war plus
tiles-documentation.war) could have done to cause
this?  I've checked server.xml, manager.xml,
../server/webapps/manager/WEB-INF/web.xml and found
nothing that looks different.  There were a couple new
entries in my tomcat-users.xml file that leads me to
suspect that somehow these wars caused this problem.
I put back my original tomcat-users.xml but that made
no difference and it keeps getting overwritten
eventually anyway.

Here is the tomcat-users.xml:
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<tomcat-users>
  <role rolename="admin"/>
  <role rolename="manager"/>
  <role rolename="role1"/>
  <role rolename="tomcat"/>
  <user username="role1" password="tomcat"
roles="role1"/>
  <user username="me" password="tomcat"
roles="admin,manager"/>
  <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat"
roles="tomcat"/>
  <user username="both" password="tomcat"
roles="tomcat,role1"/>
</tomcat-users>

My original tomcat-users.xml looked like this:
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<tomcat-users>
  <user name="me" password="tomcat"
roles="manager,admin"/>
</tomcat-users>

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Any ideas?