tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John Byrd" <john.b...@darkspell.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4.1X seems broken on Linux
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 00:37:34 GMT
This seemed like a good option to try, but someone else posted a fix
that worked before I got around to it: commenting out the mbeans info in
server.xml

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

> Is it possible for you to just run 4.1.x on a linux machine with no
> other tomcats installed?
> Just to prove to yourself it  works? I'm thinking maybe you could have a
> conflict with the other
> tomcats.
>
> John Byrd wrote:
>
> >I'm using the server.xml that comes w/ the distro, untouched. It's
> >attached.

> >org.catalina.core.StandardServer

> >>Actually, this is the exception. Can you post your server.xml file?
> >>
> >>-- Jeanfrancois

> >>--
> >

> >>For additional commands, e-mail:
> >>

> ><mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>

> ><!-- Example Server Configuration File -->
> ><!-- Note that component elements are nested corresponding to their
> >     parent-child relationships with each other -->
> >
> ><!-- A "Server" is a singleton element that represents the entire JVM,
> >     which may contain one or more "Service" instances.  The Server
> >     listens for a shutdown command on the indicated port.
> >
> >     Note:  A "Server" is not itself a "Container", so you may not
> >     define subcomponents such as "Valves" or "Loggers" at this level.
> > -->
> >
> ><Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN" debug="0">
> >

> >  <!-- Uncomment these entries to enable JMX MBeans support -->
> >  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener"
> >            debug="0"/>
> >  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"
> >            debug="0"/>
> >
> >  <!-- Global JNDI resources -->
> >  <GlobalNamingResources>
> >
> >    <!-- Test entry for demonstration purposes -->
> >    <Environment name="simpleValue" type="java.lang.Integer" value="30"/>
> >
> >    <!-- Editable user database that can also be used by
> >         UserDatabaseRealm to authenticate users -->
> >    <Resource name="UserDatabase" auth="Container"
> >              type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
> >       description="User database that can be updated and saved">
> >    </Resource>
> >    <ResourceParams name="UserDatabase">
> >      <parameter>
> >        <name>factory</name>

<value>org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory</value>
> >      </parameter>
> >      <parameter>
> >        <name>pathname</name>
> >        <value>conf/tomcat-users.xml</value>
> >      </parameter>
> >    </ResourceParams>
> >
> >  </GlobalNamingResources>
> >
> >  <!-- A "Service" is a collection of one or more "Connectors" that share
> >       a single "Container" (and therefore the web applications visible
> >       within that Container).  Normally, that Container is an "Engine",
> >       but this is not required.
> >
> >       Note:  A "Service" is not itself a "Container", so you may not
> >       define subcomponents such as "Valves" or "Loggers" at this level.
> >   -->
> >
> >  <!-- Define the Tomcat Stand-Alone Service -->
> >  <Service name="Tomcat-Standalone">
> >
> >    <!-- A "Connector" represents an endpoint by which requests are
received
> >         and responses are returned.  Each Connector passes requests
on to the
> >         associated "Container" (normally an Engine) for processing.
> >
> >         By default, a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector is established on
port 8080.
> >         You can also enable an SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 by
> >         following the instructions below and uncommenting the second
Connector
> >         entry.  SSL support requires the following steps (see the
SSL Config
> >         HOWTO in the Tomcat 4.0 documentation bundle for more detailed
> >         instructions):
> >         * Download and install JSSE 1.0.2 or later, and put the JAR
files
> >           into "$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext".
> >         * Execute:
> >             %JAVA_HOME%\bin\keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg
RSA (Windows)
> >             $JAVA_HOME/bin/keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA
 (Unix)
> >           with a password value of "changeit" for both the
certificate and
> >           the keystore itself.
> >
> >         By default, DNS lookups are enabled when a web application calls
> >         request.getRemoteHost().  This can have an adverse impact on
> >         performance, so you can disable it by setting the
> >         "enableLookups" attribute to "false".  When DNS lookups are
disabled,
> >         request.getRemoteHost() will return the String version of the
> >         IP address of the remote client.
> >    -->
> >
> >    <!-- Define a non-SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8080 -->
> >    <Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector"
> >               port="8080" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
> >               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
> >               acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"
> >               useURIValidationHack="false" />
> >    <!-- Note : To disable connection timeouts, set connectionTimeout
value
> >     to -1 -->
> >
> >    <!-- Define a SSL Coyote HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443 -->
> >    <!--
> >    <Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector"
> >               port="8443" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
> >               enableLookups="true"
> >	       acceptCount="10" debug="0" scheme="https" secure="true"
> >               useURIValidationHack="false">
> >      <Factory
className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteServerSocketFactory"
> >               clientAuth="false" protocol="TLS" />
> >    </Connector>
> >    -->
> >
> >    <!-- Define a Coyote/JK2 AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 -->
> >    <Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector"
> >               port="8009" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
> >               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
> >               acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"
> >               useURIValidationHack="false"

protocolHandlerClassName="org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler"/>

> >    <!-- Define an AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 -->
> >    <!--
> >    <Connector className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Connector"
> >               port="8009" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
> >               acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>
> >    -->
> >
> >    <!-- Define a Proxied HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8082 -->
> >    <!-- See proxy documentation for more information about using
this. -->
> >    <!--
> >    <Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector"
> >               port="8082" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
> >               enableLookups="true"
> >               acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"
> >               proxyPort="80" useURIValidationHack="false" />
> >    -->
> >
> >    <!-- Define a non-SSL legacy HTTP/1.1 Test Connector on port 8083 -->
> >    <!--
> >    <Connector
className="org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector"
> >               port="8083" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
> >               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
> >               acceptCount="10" debug="0" />
> >    -->
> >
> >    <!-- Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.0 Test Connector on port 8084 -->
> >    <!--
> >    <Connector
className="org.apache.catalina.connector.http10.HttpConnector"
> >               port="8084" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
> >               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8443"
> >               acceptCount="10" debug="0" />
> >    -->
> >
> >    <!-- An Engine represents the entry point (within Catalina) that
processes
> >         every request.  The Engine implementation for Tomcat stand alone
> >         analyzes the HTTP headers included with the request, and
passes them
> >         on to the appropriate Host (virtual host). -->
> >
> >    <!-- Define the top level container in our container hierarchy -->
> >    <Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">
> >
> >      <!-- The request dumper valve dumps useful debugging
information about
> >           the request headers and cookies that were received, and
the response
> >           headers and cookies that were sent, for all requests
received by
> >           this instance of Tomcat.  If you care only about requests to a
> >           particular virtual host, or a particular application, nest
this
> >           element inside the corresponding <Host> or <Context> entry
instead.

> >           For a similar mechanism that is portable to all Servlet 2.3
> >           containers, check out the "RequestDumperFilter" Filter in the
> >           example application (the source for this filter may be
found in
> >           "$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/filters").
> >
> >           Request dumping is disabled by default.  Uncomment the
following
> >           element to enable it. -->
> >      <!--
> >      <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RequestDumperValve"/>
> >      -->
> >
> >      <!-- Global logger unless overridden at lower levels -->
> >      <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
> >              prefix="catalina_log." suffix=".txt"
> >              timestamp="true"/>
> >
> >      <!-- Because this Realm is here, an instance will be shared
globally -->

> >      <!-- This Realm uses the UserDatabase configured in the global JNDI
> >           resources under the key "UserDatabase".  Any edits
> >           that are performed against this UserDatabase are immediately
> >           available for use by the Realm.  -->
> >      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"
> >                 debug="0" resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
> >
> >      <!-- Comment out the old realm but leave here for now in case we
> >           need to go back quickly -->
> >      <!--
> >      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm" />
> >      -->
> >
> >      <!-- Replace the above Realm with one of the following to get a
Realm
> >           stored in a database and accessed via JDBC -->
> >
> >      <!--
> >      <Realm  className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
> >             driverName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"
> >          connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/authority"
> >         connectionName="test" connectionPassword="test"
> >              userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name"
userCredCol="user_pass"
> [...]
> >             a user to be authenticated the first time they encounter a
> >             resource protected by a security constraint, and then
have that
> >             user identity maintained across *all* web applications
contained
> >             in this virtual host. -->
> >        <!--
> >        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn"
> >                   debug="0"/>
> >        -->
> >
> >        <!-- Access log processes all requests for this virtual host.  By
> >             default, log files are created in the "logs" directory
relative to
> >             $CATALINA_HOME.  If you wish, you can specify a different
> >             directory with the "directory" attribute.  Specify
either a relative
> >             (to $CATALINA_HOME) or absolute path to the desired
directory.
> >        -->
> >        <!--
> >        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
> >                 directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_access_log."
suffix=".txt"
> >                 pattern="common" resolveHosts="false"/>
> >        -->
> >
> >        <!-- Logger shared by all Contexts related to this virtual
host.  By
> >             default (when using FileLogger), log files are created
in the "logs"
> >             directory relative to $CATALINA_HOME.  If you wish, you
can specify
> >             a different directory with the "directory" attribute.
Specify either a
> >             relative (to $CATALINA_HOME) or absolute path to the desired
> >             directory.-->
> >        <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
> >                 directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_log." suffix=".txt"
> >	        timestamp="true"/>
> >
> >        <!-- Define properties for each web application.  This is
only needed
> >             if you want to set non-default properties, or have web
application
> >             document roots in places other than the virtual host's
appBase
> >             directory.  -->
> >
> >        <!-- Tomcat Root Context -->
> >        <!--
> >          <Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0"/>
> >        -->
> >
> >        <!-- Tomcat Examples Context -->
> >        <Context path="/examples" docBase="examples" debug="0"
> >                 reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
> >          <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
> >                     prefix="localhost_examples_log." suffix=".txt"
> >        	  timestamp="true"/>
> >          <Ejb   name="ejb/EmplRecord" type="Entity"
> >                 home="com.wombat.empl.EmployeeRecordHome"
> >               remote="com.wombat.empl.EmployeeRecord"/>
> >
> >          <!-- If you wanted the examples app to be able to edit the
> >               user database, you would uncomment the following entry.
> >               Of course, you would want to enable security on the
> >               application as well, so this is not done by default!
> >               The database object could be accessed like this:

initCtx.lookup("java:comp/env");
> >               UserDatabase database =
> >                    (UserDatabase) envCtx.lookup("userDatabase");
> >          -->
> ><!--
> >          <ResourceLink name="userDatabase" global="UserDatabase"
> >                        type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"/>
> >-->
> >

> >          <!-- PersistentManager: Uncomment the section below to test
Persistent
> >		       Sessions.
> >
> >               saveOnRestart: If true, all active sessions will be saved
> >                 to the Store when Catalina is shutdown, regardless of
> >                 other settings. All Sessions found in the Store will be
> >                 loaded on startup. Sessions past their expiration are
> >                 ignored in both cases.
> >               maxActiveSessions: If 0 or greater, having too many
active
> >                 sessions will result in some being swapped out.
minIdleSwap
> >                 limits this. -1 means unlimited sessions are allowed.
> >                 0 means sessions will almost always be swapped out after
> >                 use - this will be noticeably slow for your users.
> >               minIdleSwap: Sessions must be idle for at least this long
> >                 (in seconds) before they will be swapped out due to
> >               maxActiveSessions. This avoids thrashing when the site is
> >                 highly active. -1 or 0 means there is no minimum -
sessions
> >                 can be swapped out at any time.
> >               maxIdleSwap: Sessions will be swapped out if idle for this
> >                 long (in seconds). If minIdleSwap is higher, then it
will
> >                 override this. This isn't exact: it is checked
periodically.
> >                 -1 means sessions won't be swapped out for this reason,
> >                 although they may be swapped out for maxActiveSessions.
> >                 If set to >= 0, guarantees that all sessions found
in the
> >                 Store will be loaded on startup.
> >               maxIdleBackup: Sessions will be backed up (saved to
the Store,
> >                 but left in active memory) if idle for this long (in
seconds),
> >                 and all sessions found in the Store will be loaded
on startup.
> >                 If set to -1 sessions will not be backed up, 0 means
they
> >                 should be backed up shortly after being used.
> >
> >               To clear sessions from the Store, set
maxActiveSessions, maxIdleSwap,
> >               and minIdleBackup all to -1, saveOnRestart to false,
then restart
> >               Catalina.
> >          -->
> >		  <!--
> >          <Manager
className="org.apache.catalina.session.PersistentManager"
> >              debug="0"
> >              saveOnRestart="true"
> >              maxActiveSessions="-1"
> >              minIdleSwap="-1"
> >              maxIdleSwap="-1"
> >              maxIdleBackup="-1">
> >                <Store
className="org.apache.catalina.session.FileStore"/>
> >          </Manager>
> >		  -->
> >          <Environment name="maxExemptions" type="java.lang.Integer"
> >                      value="15"/>
> >          <Parameter name="context.param.name"
value="context.param.value"
> >                     override="false"/>
> >          <Resource name="jdbc/EmployeeAppDb" auth="SERVLET"
> >                    type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
> >          <ResourceParams name="jdbc/EmployeeAppDb">
> >          </ResourceParams>
> >          <Resource name="mail/Session" auth="Container"
> >                    type="javax.mail.Session"/>
> >          <ResourceParams name="mail/Session">
> >            <parameter>
> >              <name>mail.smtp.host</name>
> >              <value>localhost</value>
> >            </parameter>
> >          </ResourceParams>
> >          <ResourceLink name="linkToGlobalResource"
> >                    global="simpleValue"
> >                    type="java.lang.Integer"/>
> >        </Context>
> >
> >      </Host>
> >
> >    </Engine>
> >
> >  </Service>
> >
> >  <!-- The MOD_WEBAPP connector is used to connect Apache 1.3 with
Tomcat 4.0
> >       as its servlet container. Please read the README.txt file
coming with
> >       the WebApp Module distribution on how to build it.
> >       (Or check out the "jakarta-tomcat-connectors/webapp" CVS
repository)

> >       To configure the Apache side, you must ensure that you have the
> >       "ServerName" and "Port" directives defined in "httpd.conf".  Then,
> >       lines like these to the bottom of your "httpd.conf" file:
> >
> >         LoadModule webapp_module libexec/mod_webapp.so
> >         WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
> >         WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples/
> >
> >       The next time you restart Apache (after restarting Tomcat, if
needed)
> >       the connection will be established, and all applications you make
> >       visible via "WebAppDeploy" directives can be accessed through
Apache.
> >  -->
> >
> >  <!-- Define an Apache-Connector Service -->
> ><!--
> >  <Service name="Tomcat-Apache">
> >
> >    <Connector
className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
> >     port="8008" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
> >     enableLookups="true" appBase="webapps"
> >     acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>
> >
> >    <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
> >     name="Apache" debug="0">
> >
> >      <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
> >              prefix="apache_log." suffix=".txt"
> >              timestamp="true"/>
> >
> >      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.MemoryRealm" />
> >
> >    </Engine>
> >
> >  </Service>
> >-->
> >
> ></Server>